The Government is conducting a comprehensive Upper North Island logistics and freight review to ensure New Zealand’s supply chain is fit for purpose in the longer-term.
The review will guide the development and delivery of a freight and logistics strategy for the Upper North Island. This includes a feasibility study to explore moving the location of the Ports of Auckland, with serious consideration to be given to Northport.
The work will also include priorities for investment in rail, roads and other supporting infrastructure, with the goal of creating a robust supply chain that delivers to New Zealand’s interest over the next 30 years.
The work will be led by an independent working group of experts who will report to the Ministers of Finance, Transport, and Regional Development.
The Ministry of Transport, the NZ Transport Agency, and the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment will be providing support to the Working Group.
Interim report (April 2019)
- Cabinet Paper Release Coversheet [PDF, 99 KB]
- Cabinet Paper [PDF, 608 KB]
- Cabinet Minutes [PDF, 648 KB]
- Interim Progress Report [PDF, 1.4 MB]
- Summary of Submissions [PDF, 508 KB]
Terms of Reference (February 2018)
- Cabinet Paper Upper North Island Supply Chain Strategy [PDF, 136 KB]
- Press Release - Future focus on Upper North Island logistics(external link)
- Read Questions and Answers
For general enquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org