As we work to develop the strategy, we have been working with five reference groups and a range of road safety experts across the country. The inputs from the Local Government Road Safety Summit, hosted by the Minister in April 2018, will also inform the strategy drafting.
Local Government Road Safety Summit
Minister Genter hosted a local government road safety summit in Wellington on 9 April, 2018. You can read more about the summit in the documents below.
- Hon Genter’s letter to local councils [PDF, 183 KB](external link)
- Hon Genter’s invitation to local council representatives [PDF, 363 KB](external link)
- Hon Genter’s release: Summit identifies actions to improve road safety(external link)(external link)
- Hon Genter’s post summit letter to local council representatives [PDF, 197 KB](external link)
- Summit costs [PDF, 101 KB]
- Presentation Brent Johnston, MoT [PDF, 840 KB](external link)
- Presentation Dr Paul Graham, NZTA [PDF, 1.3 MB](external link)
- Report from the Summit [PDF, 58 KB](external link)
- Local Government's key concerns around road safety [PDF, 43 KB](external link)
A key early component of the strategy development has been working with five reference groups made up of over 100 representatives from across the sector to provide a range of knowledge, experiences and perspectives to contribute the development of the strategy discussion document.
The groups met four times each and considered Speed, Vehicles, Vehicles as a Workplace, Road User Behaviour, and Infrastructure.
The purpose of the reference groups was to contribute to an investigation of the current road safety problem; review the research, evidence and best practice approaches being used in New Zealand and overseas; and identify / assess potential opportunities to address these challenges and support a safe road system.
Below is some further information about the reference groups and some of the information packs provided to group members to support their conversations.
- Terms of Reference for Reference Group membership [PDF, 401 KB]
- An Overview of Road Safety in NZ Data pack [PDF, 2.9 MB]
- Safe System and Vision Zero – what do they mean? [PDF, 794 KB]
- Vehicles reference group data pack [PDF, 2 MB]
- Vehicles as a workplace reference group data pack [PDF, 903 KB]
- Speed reference group data pack [PDF, 4 MB]
- Infrastructure reference group data pack [PDF, 4.5 MB]
- Road User Behaviour reference group data pack [PDF, 2.1 MB]